Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Drowsy Chaperone Response

If we were to look at this play strictly from the fictional DC, I feel like a lot of the tension would be lost. There would be plenty of dramatic irony, sure, but the tense moments of "sudden" interruption would be completely lost. There would be no skipping record or phone ringing or strange supervisor coming in being creepy about liking musicals. Those moments portray tension, and they personally make me want to get back to the story of the fictional DC, though I do find them amusing.

Another thing is that much of the background information of the play would be lost if this were to strictly be the fictional DC. The Man tells us background on all these various "actors" and how they relate to their characters, possibly why they were casted. It gives better understand of what's going on in the play, such as Chaperone's song "As We Stumble Along" being totally about dealing with alcoholism and how she gets this huge, insane music number in each of the shows she's involved in.

One thing I could do without, however, is the ridiculous Nightingale song that's "from another play." I heard that and my jaw dropped because I was so jarred out of the setting of the actual play. But I suppose if you're listening to a record in your living room and put the wrong one on, you'd be a bit jarred as well. Again, adding more and more to the tension/release factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment